Tips to practice boating safety this summer
(NC) Enjoy spending time by the water with loved ones this summer by following these tips to keep people and Canadian waterways safe.
- Take an accredited Canadian boating safety course. Keep your pleasure craft operator certificate with you at all times.
- Inspect your boat and all your equipment before departure.
- Always wear your lifejacket or personal flotation device while on board. It is important to put it on before boarding the vessel.
- Check the forecast for weather and water conditions before heading out and keep a watchful eye out for changing conditions.
- Study and carry your marine charts.
- Leave a trip/rescue plan with a responsible person.
- Do not drink and drive and do not cruise with alcohol onboard your boat.
- Never boat under the influence. It's dangerous — and against the law — to operate a boat while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
Find your local Canadian Coast Guard phone number at www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/emergency-numbers-hub.